Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Inspired by J.Krishnamurti

J. Krishnamurti's discourse on Ashtha International (May 12) was a delight to watch based on the book - The Awakening of Intelligence - published by Harper Collins. I first came in contact with this great thinker through this book in 1995 while living in New York - far away from home - when such thoughts about the greatness of India strike you most! What got me thinking that compels my actions even today is - 'If there were no books, no gurus, what would you do?' A question worth its weight in platinum! His further elaboration in this discourse can be summed up as follows: 'Living a life of intelligence is to live in absolute freedom without conflict'. (I take the full blame for any gross simplification!)

This question is extremely relevant and extremely potent to the current circumstances we face in India. With the onslaught of Cable TV, there is no dearth for airtime concerning spiritual matters, rituals and spiritualism. The speakers most times on these religious channels are frivolous revelling in what Krishnamurti calls - religious entertainment lacking seriousness, merely jumping from one spectacular amusement to another! A very similar feeling got me thinking about the question - 'If there were no books, no gurus, what would you do?' - when I was exposed to Vipassana meditation in the November of 2000 that is being taught by Shri. S.N. Goenka. (http://www.dhamma.org/). A meditation technique that is very powerful and potent!

The answer I have found based on introspection to this critical question is that - 'you must become self-reliant' - a family secret or value system nurtured and ingrained in my genes by my dear father.

No comments: